The bakery displays throughout Frankfurt are a work of art.
We have discovered a new favorite, Mandelhoernchen Cookies. They are filled with marzipan, coated with sliced almonds, and dipped in chocolate. Yum!
Here is the recipe:
Adapted from Gesine’s recipe at Confections of a Master Baker
Makes 2 dozen
1 recipe almond paste (see above) or 1 lb commercially-prepared paste
4 oz granulated sugar
3 egg whites
AP flour
8 oz slivered almonds (I cheat and chop them with a knife because I am lazy)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 oz granulated sugar
3 egg whites
AP flour
8 oz slivered almonds (I cheat and chop them with a knife because I am lazy)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Combine almond paste and sugar in a medium bowl with a hand mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until well-combined, about a minute.
Continue mixing as you drizzle in the egg whites. Mix until it all comes together in a uniform, slightly sticky mass.
Cover a workspace with a light dusting of flour. Turn the dough out onto your work surface and divide in two. You will need flour on your hands to prevent the dough from sticking to you (not that you will mind having to lick your fingers, because WOW, this dough is delicious). Roll each half into a 15” log and divide into 12 pieces.
Roll each piece in the chopped almonds, making them into little logs that are between 5 and 6 inches long. Bend them into little horseshoes and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Allow to dry for approximately three hours.
Bake each sheet at 375 for 15-20 minutes. They should be golden and lovely when they are done. While the first batch is cooking, microwave the water and remaining cup of sugar in a bowl for one minute on high. Brush each horn with this simple syrup as soon as each sheet comes out of the oven.
When the horns are cool, melt the chocolate chips. You can do this in the microwave, carefully, or in a double-boiler on the stove. I don’t have a proper double-boiler; I use a small saucepan of water and set a mixing bowl in it. The idea with chocolate is that it melts with its own radiant heat, i.e. do not set them in the microwave and expect it to turn to liquid before your very eyes. This is the way you set your microwave on fire. I found that out the hard way when I was 9. When chocolate chips are getting in a melty way, they will start to get shiny. Begin stirring, and soon you’ll have your melted chocolate.
Dip the ends of your horns in the chocolate and allow to dry before serving.

No comments:
Post a Comment