Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Departing Friends

This has been a month of loss for us as two of our sweet friends have moved away this week. We had parties for both of them. Alejandra and Bob cooked up some delicious Peruvian food, and we invited all of the missionaries over. Alejandra is a college student from Peru, who is studying film and has been coming to Church. She left this week to go back to Peru to see her family for six weeks. We will be happy to see her again when she returns.

Alejandra is the darling girl sitting next to Bob.




We also invited Anja's family over for a going away party, as they are moving to Brussels. Bob cooked his famous fondue, and their girls made Valentines. I will really miss Anja. I gave her a Book of Mormon in German and wrote my testimony in the front:

 To My Sweet Friend, Anja:

 I am so grateful to have you as my friend here in Germany. We have shared many happy times together, and I have learned so much from you. I admire you so very much. You are a wonderful mother and a bright woman who is always looking for ways to make the world a better place.

 As you know, I came into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when I was 20 years old. I want to tell you about my life before then. I often felt depressed and anxious, especially about the world around me. After joining the Church, my life changed. I felt love, peace, joy and direction in my life. I had Heavenly Father’s Spirit to be with me to guide me and to comfort me. I have been happy ever since and grateful that my entire family can be sealed to me, so that we can live in peace together forever.

 You have had an introduction to the Church here in Frankfurt, and I hope that you will seek out opportunities wherever you go to learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that God and Jesus Christ live. They are watching over each of us individually. I can go to God anytime and pray for my needs and the needs of others, and He will answer my prayers.

  Heavenly Father wants nothing more than for us to be eternally happy and safe from the ways of the world and to return home to Him. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the way to that peace and love. I know what joy the Gospel can bring into your life and the lives of your family. Please read this book that has brought such comfort into my life. Then ask questions and find answers (Moroni 10:3-5).  I love you, Anja, and will miss you and think of you often. Lonnie

 Early the next morning, I received an email back from Anja. She wrote: Thank you very much for the evening and your gift. I read your letter last night and I was touched by your words. I very appreciate your friendship. Love, Anja

 Hers is a friendship that I will cherish forever. The Eckerts have always been so inclusive in inviting us to join their family on outings and for meals in their home. She also facilitated my English teaching position at the elementary school. They have invited us to stay in touch and visit them in Brussels. We have invited them to visit us in Salt Lake. It’s a challenge here, because just as you get close to people, it seems they are gone. As Dorothy said in the Wizard of Oz: "My! People come and go so quickly here!

No comments:

Post a Comment