Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Elvis Presley Sighted in Friedberg!

 Our Saturday got off to a fun start but our adventure ended up pretty frightening. I got to go to the Flomarkt! I wanted to get a coral sweater, and sure enough, I found it for 2 Euro. I was also looking for some crochet handwork to add to the quilt I am making while I am here in Germany. Found that too! 


 Then we headed to Friedberg, where Elvis Presley was stationed in the army at Ray Barrack, to see his monument. We drove all over the city and finally asked a bicyclist, and of course, he knew exactly where to go. I was looking forward to seeing the monument because I had once met Elvis and got his autograph. But I must admit, the monument was a little disappointing. It stood in the middle of a round-about, and we had to drive around three times to get a good picture. The main shopping center in town is named after Elvis Presley. 






The city of Friedberg is less than a half an hour north/east of Frankfurt. It sits atop a basalt plateau overlooking the Usa River and has been populated at least since Roman times.The city initially rivaled Frankfurt am Main economically, with an important annual trading fair. 

We enjoyed the many beautiful buildings:



















The city was bustling the day we arrived with a parade and people all dressed up in costumes to celebrate Carnival, a holiday here similar to our New Orleans' Mardi Gras.  







Then we drove around and found the old walled city and an old fortress up on the top of the hill. 





We wanted to turn around and pulled into a lane that led to this very old farm yard that was so cool. Notice the spooky, very old tree with it's interesting plate of moss stacked at its base.







Maxim Entenhaus

By then we were all hungry, so we headed for Maxim Entenhaus in Dorterweiler,  a Chinese food buffet, that was only 7.50 Euro and all you can eat. 






 As we were nearing the end of our meal, our friend Jerry became distressed with his breathing and was going into anaphylactic shock from something he ate. Bob quickly drove us toward home, Karen was on the phone with the doctor, and I offered a prayer. We got him to the Emergency Room, and they started an IV of adrenaline and gave him cortisone.  Jerry is fine, now, thank you Heavenly Father. But what an adventure!   

Now we know what hospitals are like in Germany –long lines and waiting, just like in America, and you have to make a down payment in cash up front to get help. Then you pay the rest of your bill in cash to the doctor before you leave. Interesting!

Jerry Before and After His All You Can Eat Chinese Buffet:




We love Jerry!

No comments:

Post a Comment