Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Christmas Play With the Kindergarten

We were invited to attend the Kindergarten's Christmas play in the old wooden church, whose church bells we hear chiming every day at noon and six. The children were  dressed in simple costumes. Morena wore a white petticoat and dress, a cap, and a cape. Of course, the play was all in German, but I could understand the message as the play unfolded. As Morena walked up and down the center aisle looking around, one child after another came to her expressing a need. First she gave away her cap, then her cape, and then finally her white dress to those in need. When she was down to her petticoat, I felt worried for her. It was freezing cold in the old church, yet this added even greater poignancy to the play and brought a great feeling of love. The message was clear--be generous with those in need as we walk through life.



The next day at school, I put my arm around Morena and told her what a wonderful job she had done in the play. As I was leaving school that day, putting on my big black winter coat, Morena came up to me and asked  if she could button up my coat for me. As she buttoned me up before I headed out into the cold, I thought about Morena in the play. She was living the message, and I was touched by her loving, generous spirit. This dear child truly brought the spirit of Christmas into my heart in faraway Germany.

The Kindergarten decorated every room in the school beautifully for Christmas. Each day as I look at this painting that a teacher and the children painted on this window, I am reminded of Morena and the lovely play.











Each day when I leave the Kindergarten, I pass by this wall art. Today I looked up the reference in Matthew 24:31.

And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.




No comments:

Post a Comment